Whether you have dry, oily, or combination skin, moisturizer is a key component of your daily skincare routine. We will be discussing why moisturizer is so important for combination skin and how your skin can benefit from these hydrating products.
What is Combination Skin?
People with combination skin often have an oily T-zone (the area around the brows) and dry skin on their cheeks or other areas of the face like the jaw and hairline. Many people have combo skin that naturally results from genetics or hormonal changes. Changes in the weather and certain skincare products can also be responsible for your combined oily and dry skin.
What is Moisturizer?
Moisturizers are a common skincare product used to hydrate the skin and help provide a barrier against free radicals in the environment. Moisturizers can often be found as lotions made from an oil and water emulsion or serums with hydrating ingredients.
How Do Moisturizers Work?
There are various types of ingredients used in moisturizers. Emollients like glycerin help visibly smooth rough and cracked skin, humectants like hyaluronic acid give the appearance of hydrated skin, occlusives like petrolatum help create a seal over top of the skin, and ceramides have been known to help the appearance of compromised skin. Many times, these ingredients are combined to lock in moisture and nutrients as the last step in your skincare routine.
How Do Moisturizers Benefit Combination Skin?
A lightweight, oil-free moisturizer is often a great choice for combination skin since they hydrate the skin without an oily shine. The dry parts of your face need moisturization and the oily skin areas need hydration without excess moisturization since water is necessary for healthy cell functioning. Water-based products like lotions and gel moisturizers are best since they can be used on both your dry and oily skin.
The Benefits of Moisturizers for Combination Skin
Moisturizers are necessary for all skin types. You might be hesitant to apply face moisturizer on your oily T-zone (and you shouldn’t use a heavy moisturizer). However, without proper moisturizing, your skin may produce excess oil, worsening its shine.
Recommended Moisturizers for Combination Skin
These are some of our best moisturizers for combination skin and they are also great choices for sensitive skin or acne-prone skin.
- Colostrum Luminous Glow Cream: a lightweight cream to give skin a smooth and brighten appearance
- Nourish Daily Antioxidant: a natural-based moisturizer with intense hydrating properties
- Brazilian Propolis Lotion: enriched with micronutrients, amino acids, minerals, and vitamins
- Acidophilus Probiotic Facial Cream: a lightweight moisturizer that visibly improves the look of your skin.
Shop Skincare Products by Skin Type
At Epicuren Discovery, our goal is to craft quality skin care products tailored for individualized treatment. Shop online for skincare products designed specifically for your sensitive combination skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does combination skin need moisturizer?
- Yes! All skin types require moisturizer to help balance the natural production of sebum oil and keep the skin properly hydrated.
- Should combination skin use cream or lotion?
- A lightweight lotion should be used for combination skin. If the dry patches of your skin need extra hydration, only apply heavier creams in those dry areas.
- How often should you moisturize combination skin?
- Moisturizers should be applied at night and in the morning.